Functions: WHAT does the Topsoil Mapper (TSM) do?
BASIC: The Topsoil Mapper is capable of recording the depth of compaction, relative water content, and soil type automatically by using a motor during agricultural operations. In the Basic version, the user uploads the collected data via storage medium to the Data Box (cloud solution). Three maps are then produced using the parameters listed above. The data is managed centrally on the server and is available to the user at any time.
PRO: With the Pro version, the measured data is sent in real time to the terminal in the driver’s cabin. In this way, the driver can immediately see, for example, the depth of compaction zones. The information is provided directly to the soil tilling machine in the form of a rule-based control. Working depth is set automatically, such that interaction with the machine’s operator is not required. The advantages of this mode of operation are: an average saving of 6-7l/ha in fuel; a saving of working time of about 20%/ha; and a reduction in wear and tear due to optimised working depth.
Possible applications: Where/For what purposes can I use the sensor?
Topsoil Mapper can in principle be used independent of the weather in all agricultural soils.
Use is possible for each pass and with any implement.
For what purposes?
- Local differences in soil can be targeted for treatment with the control for varying sub-plots.
- The mapping of soil-specific water supplies allows targeted control of irrigation measures and optimisation of sprinkler system use.
- The thickness of the humid soil layer that is permeable by roots is determined in order to control soil improvement measures and fertiliser use in a targeted manner.
- Compatibility with agricultural information systems permits integrated planning of agricultural operations while taking into account all available operating data (e.g. soil data, yield key indicators, vegetation measurement data, etc.)
User: WHO can use the TSM?
Our main goal during development of the Topsoil Mapper (TSM) was to develop a user-friendly measurement system. By using the Topsoil Mapper, the user can reduce cost when managing agricultural areas, increase yields, and optimally supply the resource soil for tilling, fertilisation, and irrigation.
The measuring system’s features allow the user to carry out core activities without needing to negotiate a complicated measuring system with complex functionality. It is simple to install and can be used during operations mostly autonomously (i.e., it doesn’t require expert knowledge).
Data recording and analysis are autonomous, without the need of complicated and time-consuming settings by the user.
WHY the TSM rather than another product?
- Increase in average work speed during cultivation
- Savings in diesel and machine wear
- Continuous improvement of soil quality
- Autonomous recording and mapping of soil parameters: depth of compaction, relative water content, zoning by soil texture
- Performing processes (sowing, fertilising) specific to a partial area
- Fast and flexible installation on the front weight/front hydraulics
- Can be used for each pass and in any weather
- No contact with soil necessary
- Can be used with any hydraulic grubber (retrofitting kit)
- Results can be tracked, are transparent, and can be checked via soil samples
- Complex data evaluations and analyses are run in the background and do not cost extra time or money
- Exterior stability: The system is especially robust and stable, as well as impervious to environmental influences. Daily use is not a problem, nor are long idle times, for example.
Areas of application: HOW does the operating mode of the TSM contribute to optimum cultivation and economical use of the soil?
How well the available soil can fulfil its functions and which measures can be taken to increase functionality is of great importance to any farmer. For this purpose, measured data and soil parameters in a suitable spatial resolution and distribution are necessary as the basis for decisions about cultivation.