Ground radar (Ground Penetrating Radar) is a standard method in the search for underground structures (lines, pipelines, pipes, etc.) or the non-destructive exploration of geological structures. Modern radar systems and very precise positioning methods permit a glance below the surface with hitherto unavailable precision and resolution. As in medical tomography, this allows the visualisation of structures that had been invisible until now.
For further information please contact our subsurface mapping experts: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lines and other underground structures are “buried” assets for infrastructure companies. Due to construction measures, these risk being damaged or destroyed. Precise information about their location and depth is therefore essential. The Geoprospectors solutions are a reliable and exact source for non-destructive recording of this important underground information for metal and non-metal structures.
Our solutions allow our customers to record and analyse a large amount of underground information within a short time, as well as preparing that information for making reliable decisions.
The applications of our systems range from detecting lines to mapping geological structures. The systems are configured and prepared accordingly for our customers. Since the measuring setup is essential for the success of a measuring campaign, each measuring system is designed, calibrated, and delivered according to customer requirements.
The use of geophysical methods in this sector is very broad. The list below provides a rough overview of possible applications:
- Investigation and localisation of subterranean cavities
- Geotechnical and geological inventory
- Mapping of subterranean structures, such as lines, canals, etc.
- Non-destructive checking of parts (Non-destructive Testing NDT)
- Monitoring of landslides and movements of mass
- Monitoring Ground water
- Quantitative and qualitative mapping of contaminated sites and sites presumed to be contaminated
Utility mapping in the urban area
Sometimes only incomplete management plans are available in case of new construction measures in the urban area. In this case, a solid foundation for the planned projects can be obtained using the results collected from ground penetrating radar. Based on this, it is possible to further create clear and complete infrastructure plans.
Trans Austria gas pipeline
The following illustration shows a ground penetration radar measurement of the Trans Austria gas pipeline. The compaction areas of the excavated trenches for the construction of the pipeline are very clearly visible. Furthermore, the first reflection of the radar wave on the pipeline can easily be seen and is marked with a red circle in the graph below.
Geological mapping, i.e. the systematic exploration and description of the geological conditions, provides basic insights into the geological structure and the existing rock units of an investigation area. The results of the geological mapping are presented, inter alia, in the form of geological maps. See an example below:
Which penetration depths are possible with a GPR sensor?
The depth of electromagnetic wave penetration is strongly dependent on local ground conditions. These depths are calculated in normal geological environment, absent of low resistive layers.
Maximum penetration depths are based on excellent radar conditions, such as fresh water/ice, limestone, dry sand, moraine and concrete. Depths vary greatly with water saturation in the medium.
What are the costs for different mapping methods?
Since the measurement requirements are usually different, this also applies to the costs. The following parameters must be considered when creating an offer:
- The size and nature of the area to be surveyed.
- Equipment used (single-channel / multi-channel radar)
We will be glad to advise you personally and provide you with a tailor-made offer considering your individual needs. Get in contact with us using email@example.com.
- Amt der Burgenländischen Landesregierung
- Amt der Niederösterreichischen Landesregierung
- Bogensberger Vermessung ZT GmbH
- Bundesministerium für Landesverteidigung
- Das Ludwig Boltzmann Institut für Archäologische Prospektion und Virtuelle Archäologie
- Diamond Aircraft Industries GmbH
- Energie Burgenland AG
- Fleischmann Consult GmbH
- Grafenegg Kulturbetriebsges.m.b.H
- IVECO Austria Gesellschaft m.b.H.
- LIKWID GmbH
- Magistrat der Stadt Salzburg
- Max Bögl Bauservice GmbH & Co. KG
- Netz Burgenland GmbH
- Norsk institutt for kulturminneforskning
- OMV Aktiengesellschaft
- PORR AG
- Stadtgemeinde Baden
- Stadtgemeinde Marchtrenk
- SWU Stadtwerke Ulm/Neu-Ulm GmbH
- Wiener Netze GmbH
- WSE Wiener Standortentwicklung GmbH